Some breeds Of chickens are more flighty than others. To hinder them flying it is possible to trim their wing.
ONLY TRIM ONE WING PER BIRD!
- First have someone hold the chicken for you with the wing out stretched.
- Look for the primary feathers.
- Trim them about 5 to 7 cm - remember that wings are like fingernails. If you over trim the wing it will bleed.
- By cutting only primary feathers when the wing is closed your chickens still looks pretty. Her efforts at flying will be one sided though!
- Clipping causes a bird to lack the balance needed for flight but lasts only until new feathers grow during the next molt, which may be a few months in young birds or up to a year for older ones.